Monday, February 15, 2010

Ugly Head Part II

When her father felt a twinge of guilt he would come and take her. I would then have to look for her because it never failed that he would leave her somewhere within a few days of taking her. This went on for months and months. I finally got a little smarter and went to child protective services. I reported him for neglect. The court gave physical custody of her to me even though I was not a blood relative.
Once when when she was about 11 years old, her and I were driving down the road, and she said "I have to ask you something from my heart" and I told her should could ask me anything.. she said "Can I call you Mom?" I cried and told her that I could never replace her mother, but I would love her as if she were my own, and that when she grew up and had her own children I would be their grandma! She was such a scared little girl, but oh was she stubborn! She would pout to get her way and even at this age could not sleep by herself. We had our battles, she refused to do anything for herself so I taught her how to make an egg, warm up soup for herself. She was always so sad. She was only in the 4 grade and already hated school. When her mother was dying she never went to school. So we fought constantly about her going to school. We were also always afraid that her dad would come and take her. We always had a plan, a way for her to contact me if something happened.
Life went on for awhile like that, she would see her brothers and sister every now and then. My daughter "Bright light" would even babysit for her older sister every now and then.
But the worst thing ever happened. One night Bright Light and Missing Momma were babysitting for Missing Momma's sister and her boyfriend tried to molest Bright Light. It was horrible, cops, fighting with Missing Momma's sister, therapists and counseling. We did ok, but Dept of Social Services was still allowing Missing Momma to go to her sister's home. It all was brought to a head when Missing Momma's molesting boyfriend brought her home after a visit. My other daughter was so upset, my son although still young wanted to beat him up. I had to do something. It was causing so much drama in my home. Every time she went to her sister's it would bring up ugly feelings. But I could do nothing, I could not take her real family away with the little time she spent with them, but then I was also putting my other daughter's emotional health at risk.
So something had to give, I called Missing Momma's great aunt (she had no grandmothers, they all had passed away) and asked her what I should do. She suggested a couple who were good friends of hers could take her. The DSS agreed and I too now had abandoned this lost child.

No comments:

Post a Comment